Deprecated: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in /home/n8f8/public_html/index.php on line 313
Simon Hoyt, son of John and Ruth (Stowers) Hoyt, born at Dorchester England January 20, 1590 - died at Stamford Connecticut September 1, 1659, according to the town records. In 1628 he came with his brother-in-law, Nicholas Stowers and the Spragues, in the ship "Abigail" with Governor John Endicott, arriving at Salem Massachusetts September 6, 1628. In the summer of 1629, he went to Charlestown as one of the first settlers, but was at Dorchester in 1650. His name on the records was Simon Hoit.
He removed to Scituate, Massachusetts where his wife joined the church, April 19, 1635. On February 28, 1640, he was granted 80- acres on the west bank of the Connecticut River. He removed to Fairfield Connecticut and bought from John Green, a home lot of three acres, March 6, 1649 and later five more lots, but was at Stamford before his death an the inventory of his estate was taken there.
ARMS: ARGENT., A LION RAMPANT SABLE, A CHIEF PER FESSE INDENTED O THE 1 ST AND 2ND
(CREST: A TOWER GUILE - OUT OF THE BATTLEMENT A DEMI-LION RAMPANT SABLE.)
Descendants of John & Ruth (Stowers) Hoyt
Simon Hoyt (Hoit) remarried Susannah Smith (Second Wife) after coming to America. Susannah survived him and married Robert Bates. She died at Stamford Connecticut 1674. - Children born in New England:
Many of the Haights were Quakers or Friends - Anna retained her friendship for them. When William was a boy in Jamaica, the Friends were active there and his mother had always been friendly toward them.
Anna was born at Crum Elbow, New York, March 10, 1764 and from there moved with her parents to Tinmouth Vermont. She was the daughter of William, youngest son of Joseph Haight. Her father was a strict orthodox Quaker and owned a farm not far from the meeting house. When the split came between the Liberal young people and the older Orthodox members, Anna joined the liberals, much against her father's anger and the inability to control his own daughter, caused a break in her father's prestige, both in church and community. From the Dissenting members, a Baptist church was formed at Danby.
After William's death, Anna tried to operate the mill and manage the family finances, but James, the eldest son had bought a farm at Tinmouth & Stanton was too young to help. The purchasers of the Harrington Sawmill, tried to buy the Lowing mill with its better water advantages, but their price was so small that she refused to sell.
After this they bribed any help she hired, until there was no one to he lp her - business declined and she was forced to take out a mortgage on the mill. This she could never pay and so lost the property to the owner of the rival mill.
James sold his property to try to help her and so lost his also. Before the year was out, Anna and her family returned to Danby where they owned a small tract of land with a house on it.
Susanna, Deborah and Stephen were married from this house, James Tinmouth. He was of Quaker descent. He lived 17 years after this marriage and died at Lewis, Essex County New York. having married in 1802.
Ten years after William's death, Anna married William Vaughan. After William Vaughan's death Anna visited all her children and finally settled down to live with James at East Gainsville, New York (Now Silver Springs). The home with all its effects at Lewis, was burned and among the things lost was the War record of William. When she applied for a pension, she had to take that of a private, for the commission as Captain was gone. She died August 23, 1845 at East Gainsville, New York.
The children of William and Anna Haight Lowing:
At the time that Georgetown was organized, in 1840, it embraced four townships, those that are now known as Jamestown, Zeeland. and Hiendon. Jamestown was organized about 1849. Jamestown took its name from three James's—James Skeels, the second supervisor, James Brown, and James M. Conkwright. The land, although mostly located by specu lators, in 1835 was mostly put on the market, and was rapidly settled by emigrants largely from Ohio. The first settler in Blendon was Booth Kinney. who settled on Dec. 12, about the year 1845, now dead. Afterwards a family by the name of Woodruff,—Milton, and Henry,—who settled on the same section. This town settled very slow. Stoors & Wyman built a mill in southeast pnrt of the town somewhere about 1850. The town was organized in 1856. First town meeting held at the house of Booth Kinney. Albert Vredenburg was the first supervisor. Zeeland was set off from Georgetown and attached to Holland, and was after organized, and one D. Young was the first supervisor: this was about 1850. The heads of families of the settlers as early as 1840 are now nearly all dead. Henry Griffin, J. V. Harris, Samuel Hart> Thomas Woodbury, Daniel Rieley, and Mrs. H. Steel are the only survivorswho first settled Talmadge.
Hiram Jenison, Luman and Lucins Jenison, S. Yeomaus, L. Burdsly, Edward F. Bosworth, and Freeman Burton are the only survivors of the residents of Georgetown, in 1840, at the time of its organization. The settler* of that day endured many trials and privations, such as are incidental to a: new country. The western portion of the county, and particularly on the south side nf the river, was regarded valueless for agricultural purposes, and had been a great drawback to the settlers in the eastern part of the county, owing to the malaria rising from low lands, causing much sickness, from which very few, if any, of the older settlers were able to escape. It was not unfrequently the case that whole families were found sick with the ague and burning fever at the same time, and no one able to offer a draught of cold water,—and frequently these families resided many miles from other settlers. The mdsquitoes and fleas were intolerable.
The contrast in the appearance and comforts of this county in 1840 and the present day is very great.