Lowing Private Cemetery
Bauer Road and 28th Avenue
Georgetown Twp. Cemetery
Ottawa County, Michigan
The Lowing Private Cemetery is located on the northwest corner of Bauer Road where 28th Avenue intersects.
The story goes that there were two of the Lowing brothers who owned land next to each other. The one wanted to put a road through to the river and the other didnít want to so he set aside land for a cemetery at that corner to prevent the road from going through.
There are only a few stones in the cemetery but still visible signs of other burials. No record was kept of the burials. It is possible that some of the neighbors in that vicinity have family buried here.
In 1970 the Lowing Reunion Association placed a large boulder with this a plaque and this inscription on it - "Lowing Pioneer Family - 1836"
Also on the plaque are the birth and death dates of Isaac and Lavina Lowing.
LOWING, Isaac Born-1764 Died-1876
Lavina Born-1793 Died-1868
A tall monument surrounded by footstones containing the letters, D.W.L., M.L., H.L., E.L., and L. L. On one side of the monument is -
WEST, Francis 78yrs. 7mos. Died- April, 1876
(father of Jane (West) Lowing
On the other side of the monument is -
Children of I. N. and Jane (West) Lowing:
(Isaac N. and Jane Lowing are buried in the Georgetown Twp. Cemetery.)
LOWING, Daniel W. Born-no date Died-2 Feb 1855
Myra 3 yrs. 6mos. 8days Died-11 Nov 1874
Howard 2yrs. 4mos. 2days Died-2 Aug 1865
Elroy 20yrs. 8mos. 24days Died-7 May 1880
Luman Born-no date Died-1 Jun 1865
One other obelisk contains this information:
EMBODY, Clyde Born-27 Feb 1868-Ggtn Died-17 Sep 1868-Bldn
Obe 1yr. 10mos. 5days Died-6 Apr 1873
Winifred 4yrs. 23days Died-8 Apr 1873
(Children of Obadiah and Jane (Lowing) Embody)
According to the Lowing Family book, these children of Franklin and Mary Jeanette (Lowing) Bosworth, were buried in the Lowing Cemetery.
Frank E. Bosworth Born-5 Jun 1850 Died-25 Feb 1853
Twins Ė Bertha and H. Arthur Bosworth Born-11 Jan 1861 Died-abt. 4 days olds put in command until Greene could join his unit.
Upon arrival in the American encampment, the RI regiments were brigaded with the 4th and 8th Connecticut and the four units were placed under the command of General Varnum, who used some political clout at home to get a promotion to brigadier.
During the summer of 1777, the two RI regiments peaked in strength at 600 men combined. At this point, Christopher Greene managed to join his regiment. In October and November of 1777, the RI units fought in the battle at Red Bank. After the battle, Greene evaded the British and got the two RI units back to Valley Forge for winter camp.
In camp, the RI offlcers, concerned about the very low numbers in the ranks, came up with the idea of raising a regiment from slaves. Washington wrote Gov. Cooke of Rl asking his opinion of the scheme. The governor expressed cautious optimism and said 300 men could be expected. So the troops of the 1st RI were transferred to the 2nd RI, numbering 400 as a result. This regiment served at Monmouth under Lee.
Greene and his staff were sent back to RI to raise a black regiment to fill the ranks of the depleted 1st RI. The General Assembly voted that every able bodied Negro, Mulatto and Indian slave could enlist for the duration of the war. Bounties and wages would be the same as those of free men. Once enlisted and approved of by the officers of the regiment, the recruits would be free. At this time, there was a Black and Indian population of 3,331 in Rhode Island. The scheme, which did compensate owners, produced less than 200 men. Seeing how expensive the plan was becoming, the Assembly cut off recruiting of slaves on June 10, 1778.
This incarnation of the 1st RI first saw action in the battle of Rhode Island in August 1778. The Continental troops that fought in the battle (1st and 2nd RI; Sherburne's, Webb's and Jackson's and Livingston's) remained in RI for the winter of 1778-79. On October 25, 1779, the British evacuated Newport, RI.
All the Continental units in RI were ordered to march. However, at the last minute, the 1st Rl was told to stay in the state and guard the wharves and streets of Newport. The 1st RI remained home into 1780. In July of that year, Rochambeau arrived in Newpon with 4,000 French troops. An officer with Rocharnbeau, von Clausen, provides us with a description of one of the Black soldiers wearing a cast-off French waistcoat with long sleeves and red cuffs, as well as the waved helmet with bluish plumes.
In October of 1781, Congress reconstructed the army again. The 1st RI, the 2nd RI, and Sherburne's battalion were all merged into one regiment called the 1st Rhode Island. Greene maintained command, with subordinates Jeremiah Olney and Ebenezer Flagg. Sherburne, Isreal Angell and Ward were all forced to retire. The merger took place at West Point. Although authorized for 650 men, the actual strength was about 450 men.
In May of 1781 the 1st RI was stationed along the Croton River, north of Manhattan. On the 14th, a raiding party of Delancey's refugees surprised the Rhode Islanders at two points. To make the story shorter, Greene and Flagg were killed. Lt. Colonel Jeremiah Olney assumed command. Coggeshall Olney and John Dexter were promoted to major and made his subordinates. Though the official designation was still the 1st RI, it became known as Olney's battalion.
The 1st RI was one of the first to head south to Yorktown. It was brigaded with New Jersey troops under Colonel Dayton, and placed in Lincoln's division. Stephen Olney's light infantry detached from the regiment and were given to Lafayette's Division of Light Infantry. In February of 1782, the regiment numbered 31 offlcers and 413 men. The regiment was disbanded in November 1783 when Congress decided to consolidate all regiments with less than 500 men and the state refused to spend additional recruiting money.