Deprecated: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in /home/n8f8/public_html/index.php on line 313
Googleing across the web I came across an interesting bit of infomation about the Lowing "Mob" in Australia. Here is some correspondence I received from the person who put the information on the web.
From "Latham" ( )
The Lowing who was a butcher in Parkes in 1874 was William
Alfred Lowing, b. London 1847, parents: William Reeves Lowing
and Hannah Bradbrook.
William Alfred and his siblings (Mary Louisa, Ann Susannah, John
Thomas, and Elizabeth Emily Lloyd) were baptised at All Souls, St.
Marylebone, London on Feb 3, 1853, presumably just before they all
boarded ship bound for Australia. There was another baby, Albert
Edward, b. London Feb 1853, but apparently not baptised, so may
have been born after Feb 3. Albert Edward and his mother died of
dysentery shortly after the family arrived in Melbourne.
William Alfred married 16 year old Helen Clara Pringle in Parkes
Dec.12, 1874. He went on from being a butcher to buying cattle and
becoming an important landowner in the district. William and Helen
had 8 children: Annie Georgina, Nellie Frances, Walter Harold,
Bertie Macadam, Willie R.P., Barbara Florence, Jessie Gladys, and
Alan Hill, who was my father.
William Alfred served two terms as Mayor of Parkes in the 1890s.
He went bankrupt in the financial crash of the 1890s as he had
borrowed heavily to build up his properties.
He died in Mosman, Sydney Dec.20, 1924. Helen Clara died at
Lane Cove, Sydney on Aug. 4, 1951.
William Alfred certainly founded a 'Lowing Mob' in Australia.
Here is a copy of the original page:
("The Lowing Mob")
This is Marion's paternal ancestry. There are still many unanswered questions about this family.
According to family 'legend', William Reeves Lowing did not get along with his step father and left home as a young teenager. He did not have much contact with his mother after that, but apparently did take his family to visit before they embarked for Australia.
William and Hannah Lowing brought six children to Australia in 1853. The eldest, Mary Louise, was nine years old. Shortly after their arrival, Hannah, and then the ten month old baby Albert, died of dysentery. The baby died on Christmas Eve. William did not re-marry and apparently raised his children alone, possibly on farms in northern Victoria.
He eventually went to Parkes, New South Wales, probably following his eldest son, William Alfred. William Reeves died in Parkes and was buried at a small country cemetary at Goobung.
William Alfred began work as a butcher. He began to buy cattle for himself and eventually became a wealthy landowner. He served two terms as Mayor of Parkes in the 1890s. He had unfortunately borrowed large amounts of money from the banks to finance his properties and lost much of his wealth in the financial 'crash' of the 1890s.
The Lowing home still stands in Parkes
William Alfred Lowing Helen Clara Lowing
William Alfred and his wife, Helen, had eight children. The youngest, Alan, was Marion's father.
hp?ged=lowing.ged&pid=I1325">1325), was born October 16, 1864. He attended the Alward School. For a time he taught school, he joined the Grange and was very active in that organization. He ran a store in Grandville, and later bought a farm in Trufant, Michigan. He married Violet Corwin (1333), February 6, 1907, and they had one daughter Victoria. He died at his daughter's in Tnufant, April 7, 1950. He is buried in Georgetown Cemetery.
Born: c 1748/49
Died: c 1816?
Edmonton, Middlesex, Eng.
Marr.: 9 May, 1813, Holy
Trinity, Gosport, Ports.
Died: March 1817 or 1818.
? , Elizabeth
|LOWING, William Alfred
Born: 14 April, 1847
11 Brand St. Marylebone
Marr.10 Dec. 1874
Parkes, N.S.W. Aus.
(Helen Clara Pringle)
Died: 20 Dec. 1924, Mosman, N.S.W. Aus.
|LOWING, William Reeves
Born: June/July 1816
Marr. 10 Oct., 1841,
St. Geo. Hanover Square, Lond. (Hannah Bradbrook)
Died: 11 June, 1879
Parkes, N.S.W. Aus.
||MARTIN, Nancy (Ann)
Colchester, Sussex, Eng.
Marr(2): 1 May, 1820
Spitalfields, Middlesex, Eng.
ELVIE (LOWING) YOUNG (1326), was born October 30, 1867 in Georgetown Township. She attended Alward School, and lived at home until her marriage to Marvin D. Young (1335), March 31, 1885. He was a lumberman and later a farmer. They moved to Riverton Township, Mason Co., M
ichigan. Elvie died October 12, 1887, when her son was only a few months old. She is buried in Georgetown Cemetery.
- VICTORIA (LOWING) NICHOLS (1334), attended school in Scottville, and Lake Odessa, Michigan. She married Benjamin Nichols (2367), April 2, 1927, and for years lived in Trufant. They have two children.
- CHARLES NICHOLS (2368), born April 6, 1929
- STANLEY NICHOLS (2369), born August 15, 1932.
ETHEL (LOWING) RANNEY (1327), was born at Hudsonville May 4, 1869. She attended the Alward School. She married Alvor M. Ranney (1337), May 27,1891 at Hudsonville, Michigan. They moved to Craig, Colorado where he worked as a bookeeper. She was a member of the Congregational Church, and of the Order of the Eastern Star. She died August 31, 1928 and is buried in Denver, Colorado. They had four children.
- JESSE LEROY YOUNG (1336), was born March 24, 1886 in Mason Township. He attended schools in Scottville, Michigan. He married Carrie Erma Wood (2301), of Custer Township, Mason County, November 16, 1916 at Scottville. He is a member of Masonic Lodge #445, Scottville, and belongs to State and National Grange. They have two children.
- WENDELL M. YOUNG (2302), first child of Carrie and Jesse Leroy Young was born in Riverton Township, October 31, 1917. He attended East Riverton Grade School, Scottville High School and Michigan State University. He married Eleanor L. Gifford (2304), June 28, 1941, at Scottville Methodist Parsonage. He is a farmer and she taught school. They are members of the Methodist Church, and the Farm Bureau. They have three children.
- BEVERLY JOYCE (2305), born February 27, 1948.
- DORIS CAROL (2306), born June 25,1950.
- NANCY ELAINE (2307), born August 4, 1955.
- ELVIS MARCIA (YOUNG) ANDERSON (2303), daughter of Carrie and Jesse Leroy Young was born August 14, 1921, in Rivertown Township. She attended the Riverton Twp School, Scottville High School, and Central Michigan University. She married Joe Warren Anderson (2308), June 26, 1943, at Coldwater, Michigan. He is a machine operator and a farmer. She is a Methodist Sunday School Teacher, Jr. Church Leader and he belongs to Masonic Lodge, Boy Scout Leader, she is a substitute teacher in the Scottville Schools. They have four children.
- MAX LEROY (2309), born May 11, 1947.
- DEAN HARLOW (2310), born February 26, 1950.
- BRUCE WARREN (2311), born April 16, 1952.
- VERN WALTER (2312), born December 23, 1954.
MYRA LOWING (1328) was born in Georgetown, Michigan May 3, 1871 and died November 11, 1874, at the age of three. She is buried in the Georgetown Cemetery.
ELWIN LOWING (1329), last child of Isaac and Jane (West) Lowing was born August 14, 1874, at Georgetown, Michigan. He attended the Alward School. He married Edith Louella Purchase (1343) July 12, 1899, at Georgetown. Elwin lived in the Isaac Lowing homestead for many years. For a few years he owned and operated a store, and later worked for the Grand Rapids Railway Company. He died December 26, 1946, and is buried in Georgetown Cemetery. They had four children.
- ELVIS GRACE (RANNEY) WRIDE (1338), was born at Craig, Colorado, June 30,1892. She attended school at Craig, Colorado, graduated from High School at Grandville, Michigan and attended College at Greeley, Colorado. She married Harry Wride (1341), August 16, 1916 at Denver Colorado. He was a mechanic, now retired She is a member of the Presbyterian Church, Order of the Eastern Star, and belongs to the American Legion Auxiliary. They had two children.
- ELSON KENNETH WRIDE (1342), was born June 20, 1920, at Durango, Colorado. He attended local schools and the Colorado A & M at Fort Collins, Colorado (now Colorado State Univ.) He married Anna Mae Shideler (2313) at Albuquerque, New Mexico, March 24, 1947, and moved to Hobbs, New Mexico, where he is Electrical Engineer for the Gulf Oil Corp. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, belongs to the Masonic Lodge, and sponsor of the DeMolay, and is Republican Party Chairman
of County Finance Committee. He served in the United States Marine Corps 1940-1946. They have six children.
- CHARLES ROBERT (2314), born January 5, 1943.
- KATHRYN ANN (2315), born June 30, 1948.
- ELLEN VIRGINIA (2316), born September 24,195 1.
- LIBBY LOUISE (2317), born April 4, 1957.
- DONALD ELSON (2318), born July 3, 1958.
- WILLIAM HARRY (2319), born July 3, 1958.
- DONALD HARRY WRIDE (2320), born June 11, 1923, at Longmont Colorado, and died March 6, 1929 at Loveland, Colorado.
- HOWARD NEWTON RANNEY (2300), was born May 29,1894 and died February 27,1896 at Craig Colorado.
- AVIS MAY (RANNEY) SORENSEN (1339), third child of Ethel and Alvor Ranney was born November 9, 1897. She attended Denver Elementary School and South Denver High School. She married Stanley L. Sorensen (2321), August 1, 1923, at Denver, Colorado. She belongs to the South Presbyterian Church, Ladies Auxiliary to Francis Brown Lowry Post #501 Veterans of Foreign Wars. Elects Chapter #60, Order of the Eastern Star. Her husband is deceased. She has six children
- STANLEY LYSLE SORENSEN (2322), was born June 18, 1924 at Denver, Colorado. He attended the Denver Schools. He marred Leatrice J. Brunning (2328) April 1, 1951 at Denver, Colorado. He is Denver City Fireman. They belong to the St.Paul's Lutheran Church. Is a veteran of Foreign Wars, and belongs to the Military order of the Cooties, and the Foot Printers Ass"n. He served in the US Army Medical Corp from 1943 to 1947. They have four children.
- VALERIE LYNN (2329), born February 3, 1952.
- STANLEY NEAL (2330), born January 3, 1954.
- JEANNETTE (2331), born February 7, 1956.
- JULIE RENEE (2332), born July 14, 1957.
- FRANK ALVOR SORENSEN (2323), born January 16,1927 at Denver. He attended schools in Denver. He married Gloria Marie Santos (2333), June 18, 1947. He is a Veteran of Foreign Wars, and the Military Order of Cooties. He served in the US Navy from January 1944 to 1946. They moved to 3024 Van Buren Dr.
, Tampa, Fla., where he is associated with the Lindsley Lumber Co. at Tampa, Florida. They have one child.
- STEFAEN BRUCE (2334), born October 11, 1950.
- ROBERT SAM SORENSEN (2324), was born August 26, 1928, at Denver, and died September 22, 1937. He is buried Crown Hill Burial Gardens.
- RICHARD LEROY SORENSEN (2325), was born February 13, 1930, at Denver Colorado. He attended the Denver Schools. He married Mary Ann Loney (2335), April 11, 1958, at Denver Colorado. They live at 2282 So. Williams, Denver. He was in the service and is a Veteran of Foreign Wars, and Member of the Military Order of Cooties. They have two children.
- MATTHEW WAYNE (2336), born March 4, 1959.
- MARK ALLEN (2337), born March 21, 1961.
- EUNICE DAGMAR (SORENSEN) OSBORNE (2326), was born February 4, 1932, at Denver, Colorado. She attended school in
Denver. She married Robert D. Osborne (2338). She is a member of the South Presbyterian Church. He is employed by the Martin Co. They have four children all born in Denver, Colo.
- STANLEY ROBERT (2339), born October 13, 1951.
- RICHARD MELVIN (2340), born December 29, 1952.
- SANDRA KAY (2341), born December 21, 1955.
- PATRICIA LYNN (2342), born December 7, 1961.
- AVIS MAUREEN (SORENSEN) ROOT (2327), was born July 26, 1940. She attended schools in Denver. She married Kenneth S. Root (2343), who served the US Navy., April 4, 1961 at Denver, Colorado. They were stationed in Coronado, California. She belongs to South Presbyterian Church.
- EUNICE ELIZA (RANNEY) MADDEN (1340), was born October 29,1900, at Denver, Colorado. She attended Denver Elementary School and Manuel Training High School. She married John Madden (2344) at Denver Colorado. She passed away July 31, 1925, and is buried in Denver, Colorado.
- BLANCHE (LOWING) (TABOR) BERNARD (1344), eldest child of Elwin and Edith (Purchase) Lowing was born in Georgetown, June 24, 1901. She attended Alward School, Hudsonville, South Grand Rapids High and Detroit Business University. She was married to Paul Taber (2345) July 7, 1925. She belongs to the Presbyterian Church, is a member of the Nursing Associationn, Doll Clubs and WRC. She is employed as a nurse and Ward Supervisor at the Wayne County Hospital. She has one son. Marriage #2 to Mr. Bernard (2351).
- PAUL ELWIN TABOR (2346), was born March 3, 1929, He attended schools in Detroit and Garden City, Michigan. He married Patricia Ann McInty
re (2347) September 9, 1952 at the Garden City Presbyterian Church. He owns the Garden City Welding Co., where she was a secretary before their marriage. He belongs to the Democratic Club, Optimist Club, Hawthorne Valley Golf Club. He was a Corporal in the Marines from 1945 to 1947. They have three children, all born in Garden City, Michigan.
- PAUL DENNIS (2348), born December 2, 1953.
- LINETTE MARIE (2349), born August 24, 1955.
- TERRI ANN (2350), born June 1, 1957.
- BERNICE ARMEDA LOWING (1345), second child of Elwin and Edith (Purchase) Lowing was born September 4, 1904. She attended schools at Georgetown, Hudsonville, Dutton, Grand Rapids High and Olivet College. She passed away September 26, 1924, at the age of twenty. She is buried in Georgetown Cemetery. She belonged to Wealthy Street Baptist Church.
- ARTHUR KENNETH LOWING (1346), was born August 21, 1908. He attended schools in Georgetown, East Grand Rapids, Bowen Station. He is a farmer, was never married and lives at Cedar Spring, Michigan.
- DOROTHY ALMA (LOWING) SULLIVAN (1347), was born May 11, 1911 at Georgetown. She attended school at Alward, Bowen Station, Grand Rapids, and River Rouge. She was a saleslady. She married Harry J. Sullivan (2352) May 5, 1931 at Detroit, Michigan. He was a fruit broker. She died August 22, 1939, and was buried at Holy Sepulcher, Detroit. They had two children.
- JAMES REGIS SULLIVAN (2353), born January 11, 1932.
- JEROME ROBERT SULLIVAN (2354), born August 17, 1937.
This Concludes The Known Descendants Of Isaac Newton Lowing.