Lowing Heritage Foundation

 
User:
Pass:

(Join!)

News Books Events Genealogy History On The Web Calendar  

Home > Books > Michigan Lowing Family History > Ch. 07: Michigan - Georgetown Township

Ch. 07: Michigan - Georgetown Township
09.22.2004

Georgetown Township

Georgetown Township, made up of Jamestown, Zeeland, and Blendon, with most of the inhabitants living in the present Georgetown, was organized in 1839. In April 1840, seven men met at Jenison and held the first Township Meeting.

  • Supervisor: Hiram Jenison
  • Clerk: H. Burton
  • Treasurer: L. French
  • Assessors: H. Jenison, G.M. Barker, L. French
  • School Inspectors: Joseph Gallup, H. Burton, H. Gridley
  • Constable: Hiram Jenison
  • Constable: Joseph Forman

$100.00 was voted for contingencies and $50.00 for the support of the poor. At the second election in 1841, Hiram Jenison was reelected Supervisor and Burton as Clerk. At the third election, 1843, Jenison again as Supervisor and S.L. Lowing as Clerk. (There is a question as to whether this was Stephen or Holden - County Histories differ on this point.)

1842
Hiram Jenison Supervisor
Lowing (either Stephen or Holden) Clerk
E. F. Bosworth, Hiram Jenison, Justices
H. Jenison, H.C. or Stephen Lowing
1844
H. Jenison, G.M. Barker
1845
H. Jenison, A.A. Scott
1846
A.A. Scott
G.M. Barket, E. F. Bosworth
1847
A.H. Scott, G. W. Brooks
1848
H. Jenison, E. F. Bosworth
1849
H. Jenison, E.F. Bosworth
1850
L.T. Beardsley, E.F. Bosworth
1851
Stephen L. Lowing, W.N. Carr
1852
H. Jenison, E.F. Bosworth
1853
Stephen L. Lowing, E.F. Bosworth
1854
Stephen L. Lowing, A H. Scott
1855
E. F. Bosworth, M. W. Scott
1856
Stephen L. Lowing, E. F. Bosworth
1857
John Haire, E.F. Bos worth
1858
John Haire, E. F. Bosworth
1859
Stephen L. Lowing, E. F. Bosworth
1860
B.K. Weatherwax, E.F. Bosworth
1861
Stephen L. Lowing, J. Tate
1862/
1863
N. Bliss, H.C. Lowing
1864
T.D. Pearson, H.C. Lowing
1865
H.C. Lowing, F.A. Jenison
1866
T.D. Pearson, G. Hubbard
1867
H.D. Weatherwax, G. Hubbard
1868
T.D. Pearson, G. Hubbard
1869
N. Bliss, G. Hubbard
1870
N. Bliss, Alex Wilson
1871
W.W. Weatherwax, A. Kronemeyer
1872
George Weatherwax. A. Kronemeyer
1873
S. Brennan, W.D. Clark
1874
S. Brennan, L. Day
1875
George Weatherwax, H.W. Sweet
1876
H.D. Weatherwax, H.W. Sweet
1877
H.D. Weatherwax, H.W. Sweet
1878
H.D. Weatherwax, A. Scott
1879
H.D. Weatherwax, A. Kronemeyer
1880
H.D. Weatherwax, A. Kronemeyer

After Georgetown Township was organized they voted at Jenison for many years. Until 1847, part of Georgetown extended to the north side of the river and part of Talmadge was on the South side. In 1847, the Legislature straightened this line, so no voter crossed the river to vote. There was often, friendly rivalry between voters on opposite sides of the river. At one tie the southsiders wanted a candidate whom the north siders opposed. Just before the election (1847) the southsiders heard that Talmadge Township had been set off and those voters were to vote in Talmadge Township. For some reason the voters on the north side were not informed of the change in voting place. They arrived at Jenison and first spent time in the saloon, before going to the polls. Here they were informed they were no longer allowed to vote in Georgetown. It was too late to reach the polls in Talmadge before closing time, and the south siders candidate won.

The Daltons and Harrises always held this against Stephen Lowing for not informing them on their arrival.

Georgetown voted at Jenison until 1874 when the Georgetown Grange was organized. They met, for a few years, in homes, and then built the Grange Hall on Section 16. It was then a building 25x60 feet and 18 ft in height, costing about $900.00. The township leased this place as a voting place for 99 years.

posted by Trevor Lowing
0 Comments.
PreviousNext
Index



Recent Related Stories

Comments


If you need help or have a question about this website, please contact Trevor Lowing Trevor Lowing.
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners.
Comments are owned by the Poster.
The Rest © 2009 Lowing.org.